Prep 1 hr 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
An easy way to turn an ordinary cake into a decadent dessert. Purchase a ready made angel food cake and you won't even have to turn your oven on. Prep time includes chilling.
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 cups chilled heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Whisk sugar, cocoa, milk and 1/8 tsp cream of tartar until smooth.
- Cover and refrigerate until cold, about 1 hour.
- With an electric mixer, gradually beat cream into chocolate mixture, add 1 tsp cream of tartar and beat until stiff peaks form.
A wonderful icing. It was so simple to make and what I really loved was the quantity. Next time, I'll split my cake layers and make 6 because there's plenty to use for filling and I love thin layers in my cakes. So often, though, an icing recipe just doesn't yield enough to accomplish this. Thanks for posting.
This icing had a nice taste, but the tartar was overpowering. I don't know if I did something wrong, or the icing just wasn't sweet enough, but it had an off taste, but the chocolate part was nice- just an off taste somewhere in the back.
DO NOT PUT CREAM OF TARTAR in this recipe!!!!!! There is no need...cream of tartar helps EGG WHITES volumize--it is doing nothing here but adding a bitter note. Other than that this is a wonderful top note for making a luscious Chcolate/Coffee Mousse cake. We used Recipe # 96999 to layer between a chocolate sponge cake, and topped with this revised Whipped Cream---DELICIOSOS!!