Prep 1 hr
Cook 9 mins
"Waves of chocolate melt in your mouth upon tasting these filled cookies." Whenever I make these cookies, people offer me money to make them their own personal stash! From "Something's Chocolate" by Patricia Tatro Opler.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Blend one cup butter with the cream and flour; stir well. Chill this dough, wrapped tightly, for 2 hours minimum.
- Roll the chilled dough out to a thickness of 1/3" on a lightly floured surface. Cut the dough into 1" to 1 1/2" circles. Toss the cookies circles in white sugar to coat.
- Place circles on a lightly greased cookies sheet and prick each one twice with a fork. Bake cookies until puffy and light golden on the edges, about 7-9 minutes. Cool baked cookies for 5 minutes before placing them on a cookie rack to complete cooling.
- Prepare the filling: Melt 1 1/2 oz. semisweet chocolate. Beat 1/4 cup butter with powdered sugar. Blend in the melted chocolate. Sandwich pairs of cookies together with a thin spread of the filling.
- Prepare the glaze: Melt 2 oz. of semisweet chocolate with 1 tablespoon of unsalted butter and stir until smooth. Mixture will be quite thin.
- Drizzle this thin chocolate glaze over the filled sandwiches to create uneven stripes across the cookie tops.
This is the very first time I've ever made a biscuit (cookie) recipe where there is no sugar creamed into the butter in the first step... I followed the instructions to the letter and the taste of these is great... quite different to my other biscuit recipes, but very nice indeed. I think that I probably made a bit of a dogs breakfast on the presentation because in hindsite maybe my cookies should have been a bit thinner, and my icing on the top thickened up so fast that I bearly had time to get it onto the cookies before it set, but heck, who cares ? these went down a treat. Thanks ! Note: this is an update on my previous 4 star review... I handed the last of the batch to several family members and a neighbour and they practiaclly came scratching at the door for more, my neighbour begged me for the recipe, I made some more for visitors and they were inhailed... so 4 stars didn't seem at all adequate after all, I'm very pleased to upgrade my rating to a well deserved 5 stars !! To say that these have been a crowd pleaser is a definiate understatement. Everyone agrees that the combination of the cookie, filling and icing flavours are a hit. Brilliant recipe, Thanks again :)