1/1 Photo of Chocolate Water Glaze
Found this recipe in 'The Perfect Cake' by Susan G. Purdy. I used it on RhondaJ's BEST EVER Banana Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting (#67256), instead of the cream cheese frosting. It pairs wonderfully with the banana cake. Very rich, and it offsets the sweetness of the cake. This glaze sets with a fine gloss and holds up well in hot weather. The consistency is rather fudge-like - creamy and smooth. You must whisk in enough water in the beginning (all at once) to prevent chocolate from seizing. Cakes coated with this glaze can be frozen. This recipe makes enough to glaze one 9-inch 2 or 3 layer cake.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Double Boiler Method: Melt chocolate in a pan set over hot (not boiling) water.
- 2Stir until smooth.
- 3Microwave Method: Melt chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl.
- 4Microwave at LOW or MED for 30 sec.
- 5Remove and stir.
- 6If not completely melted, continue microwaving.
- 7Stir until smooth.
- 8Once chocolate is completely melted and smooth, whisk in the hot water all at once (not slowly or the chocolate may seize) until the mixture is satiny smooth.
- 9It will have consistency of softly whipped cream.
- 10If you wish the glaze to be thinner, whisk in another TB (or more) of hot water.
- 11Glaze the cake- tilt it to help glaze flow and/or use a spatula to spread.
- 12Let the glaze set.
- 13If the weather is too warm, refrigerate the cake to let glaze set.
- 14The gloss disappears in hot weather but returns at room temperature.
- 15Beware of fingerprints on the glaze; they show.
Browse Our Top Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate Water Glaze
Serving Size: 1 (27 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 106.5
- Calories from Fat 100
- Total Fat 11.1 g
- Saturated Fat 6.8 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 5.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 6.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.5 g
- Sugars 0.1 g
- Protein 2.7 g