Recipe by Christmas Carol
A very special strudel filled with creamy chocolate and crunchy walnuts, served warm from the oven with a dusting of sweet powdered sugar. Sound yummy? It is, and oh so easy to make! A classic from Pepperidge Farm.
Top Review by Catfuzz
This is such an easy yet showy and delicious treat! Made it with unsweetened chocolate because it was what we had, added our sweetener to it and some homemade whipped topping, and my husband and I enjoyed the treat as our Christmas finale this year,
- 1 sheet pepperidge farm frozen puff pastry
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon water
- 4 ounces semi-sweet chocolate baking squares (Ghiradelli or Baker's work well)
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
Directions See How It's Made
- Thaw sheet of puffed pastry for 30 minutes at room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a small bowl, combine egg and water.
- In a large bowl, microwave the chocolate, milk, and butter on HIGH for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes, stirring occasionally, until chocolate is melted.
- Unfold the pastry sheet on a lightly floured surface.
- Roll into a 16" by 12" rectangle.
- Spread chocolate mixture evenly on puffed pastry to within 1 1/2 inch of edges and sprinkle the chopped walnuts over the chocolate.
- Beginning with short end, roll up jelly-roll style.
- Place seam side down on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Tuck ends under to seal and brush with egg mixture.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until golden.
- Cool 30 minutes on baking sheet on wire rack.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar.
- Slice and serve warm.
- Note- You may use the remaining puff pastry sheet to make decorative cut-outs for your strudel/ Simply thaw the pastry and use mini cookie cutters to cut desired shapes/ Press shapes onto top of strudel and brush tops with egg mixture/ Bake as directed.