Recipe by HisPixie
My husband told me his mother used to make a cookie like this so I went on a recipe search and found this one on Southern Food (not that my husband's family is southern, being from eastern Pennsylvania!). I want to try these for our Christmas baking.
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons cocoa
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, finely chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- In mixing bowl with electric mixer, cream butter, sugar, and vanilla. Beat in eggs, blending well.
- Sift together the flour, baking soda, salt, and cocoa; stir into creamed mixture, blending thoroughly. Stir in walnuts. Shape into a roll about 2 inches in diameter. Wrap roll in waxed paper and refrigerate until thoroughly chilled.
- Slice roll into 1/8-inch slices. Place on ungreased baking sheet and bake at 350° for 10 to 12 minutes.