Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
I have not tried this recipe. I got it from Tops courtesy of Walnut Marketing Board.
- 3 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened dutch cocoa
- 3 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1 cup toasted california walnut, finely chopped
- In medium saucepan over medium heat, bring water, sugar and cocoa powder to a boil, whisking constantly.
- Reduce heat and simmer until sugar is completely dissolved and cocoa is well blended, about 1 minute. Remove from heat and stir in chocolate until melted. Let cool completely.
- Stir in orange zest and california walnuts. Cover and refrigerate until completely cold, about 4 hours.
- Spoon chilled chocolate into shallow metal pan; freeze until almost firm, about 3 hours. Break into chunks; puree in food processor. Pack into airtight container and freeze until firm, about 1 hour. Alternatively, transfer chilled mixture to ice cream maker and prepare according to manufacturer's instructions.
- Chef's Tip: Use good quality chocolate to achieve the best results; do not use baking chocolate.