Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
This may be made ahead by wrapping the baked and cooled cake in plastic wrap and foil and storing in the refrigerator for 2 days, or the freezer for up to one month. Bring the cake back to room temperature before serving. From Cooking Light (March 2005)
- 1 2⁄3 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 3⁄4 cup dutch process cocoa
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1⁄2 cup plain soymilk
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 1 cup dried sweetened cranberries
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped and toasted
- cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spray a 10 inch springform pan with cooking spray.
- Combine flour and the next 5 ingredients (through salt) in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk.
- Combine applesauce, milk, and oil; add to flour mixture, stirring just until moist.
- Stir in cranberries and walnuts.
- Spread the batter in the pan (it will be thick).
- Bake for 45 minutes or until edges begin to pull away from sides of pan.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- When cool, sprinkle with powdered sugar.
This is an excellent cake, very fudgy. The cranberries & walnuts, are wonderful tasting and add the perfect combination.