Recipe by Jane*in*RI
This is from the wonderful "Breakfast Book" by Marion Cunningham. It was my first attempt (and only, so far) at making yeast bread. Couldn't be simpler and is delicious.
Top Review by moxie
Delicious and such a nice change in the morning! I love that it is not a sweet bread, but a wonderful hearty, nutty loaf with treasured surprises of gooey chocolate inside. Perfect with morning coffee. Thanks for sharing the wonderful recipe.
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 package yeast
- 3 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 4 eggs, room temp
- 12 tablespoons butter, softened (pref unsalted, no marg)
- 1 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate (good quality chunks, not chips, coarsely chopped)
Directions See How It's Made
- Put the water in a large mixing bowl and sprinkle in the yeast.
- Stir& allow to blend for 5 min to dissolve.
- Add the flour, sugar, salt& eggs to the yeast mixture and beat until well blended.
- Beat the butter in gradually until batter is smooth.
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap and let batter rise until it doubles in size.
- Stir batter down and add walnuts& chocolate.
- Spoon into 2 greased 8x4 loaf pans (pans should be half full).
- Bake in a preheated 350 oven for about 45 minutes.
- Cool in pan for 5 minutes, then turn out onto racks.