Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
I've made this delicious bread in small loaf pans to give as gifts and received rave reviews. The recipe is from the cookbook "The Family Baker".
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄3 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pitted dates or 1⁄2 cup dried apricot (optional)
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- Lightly grease and cocoa pans; tap out excess cocoa.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together cocoa, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a large bowl, using a whisk or an electric mixer, blend together sugar, egg, milk, oil and vanilla.
- Slowly add in the dry ingredients, beating just until combined.
- Stir in walnuts, chocolate chips, and dates.
- Turn batter into the baking pans, sprinkle with nuts and chocolate chips.
- Bake 55 to 60 minutes for a large loaf, about 25 minutes for mini loaves or until tester inserted in bread comes out clean.
- Cool in pan on wire rack 10 minutes, take out of pan and cool completely on the rack.