Prep 1 hr
Cook 10 mins
Special occasion breakfast. From Southern Living.
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour, plus
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup sugar, plus
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons cocoa
- 1 egg, separated
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine, melted
- 3⁄4 cup whipping cream
- 1⁄3 cup sifted powdered sugar
- 2 cups sliced strawberries
- To make Strawberry Cream: in a mixing bowl, beat the whipping cream until foamy. Gradually add in powdered sugar and beat until soft peaks form. Fold sliced strawberries into whipped cream.
- To make the waffles: In a mixing bowl, mix together the flour, soda, salt, sugar, and cocoa.
- In another bowl, combine the egg yolk, buttermilk, and butter; add egg mixture to the flour mixture, stirring until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Beat egg white (at room temperature) until stiff peaks form; carefully fold into batter.
- Pour appropriate amount of batter onto preheated, oiled waffle iron (amount of batter will vary depending on waffle iron size); bake until done.
- Cut waffles to make eight 4-inch squares.
- Serve waffle squares with Strawberry Cream.
- Garnish with a strawberry fan.
We liked this dish. The waffles were very moist and not overly sweet. They were also easy to make. The strawberry and whipped cream topping was great. Thanks NurseDi. Bullwinkle