Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Mmm! I suppose you could serve these for a very fancy breakfast, but really, they are for dessert. Serve them with fresh fruit and whipped cream, or with ice cream, or custard. You can make them without beating the egg whites separately, which will make them quicker and easier to make, but also less light and fluffy.
- 2 1⁄2 cups soft unbleached flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate
- Mix and sift the dry ingredients.
- Beat the egg yolks and beat in the milk.
- Melt the butter and chocolate.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff.
- Stir the egg yolks and milk into the dry ingredients.
- Stir in the slightly cooled butter and chocolate.
- Fold in the beaten egg whites.
- Bake in a hot waffle iron until done.
We used it for breakfast, and loved it! We went to the trouble of preparing the eggs separately as suggested, and the waffles were indeed light and fluffy. The preparation time and effort was a bit more than we usually invest, but worth it.