Recipe by Sonya01
waffles waffles everywhere :)
Top Review by Tisme
Made this tonight for desert. I had too many waffles (the packet did not give the weight) but I used Nana's (12) frozen waffles and there seemed to be too many waffles for one layer, I wasnt sure if it should be a few layers so I used double layers. I used dark chocolate but it seemed a little bitter, but wasn't too bad. I got 8 small servings and half liked it and half didn't. Maybe using the double layer of waffles was a bit much, but still overall a nice and different taste to the usual. Thanks Sonya for posting.
- 12 frozen waffles, cut into triangles (200g pkt)
- 100 g dark chocolate, roughly chopped
- 3 eggs, whisked
- 1⁄4 cup caster sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- icing sugar, to dust
- vanilla ice cream, to serve
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 160°C Lightly grease a 22cm square ovenproof dish.
- Arrange the waffles in the prepared dish. Sprinkle with the chocolate.
- Whisk the eggs, sugar, milk, buttermilk and vanilla essence in a large jug until well combined. Pour half the egg mixture over waffles. Set aside for 5 minutes, then pour over the remaining egg mixture.
- Place the dish in a large roasting pan and fill with enough boiling water to come halfway up the sides of the dish. Bake for about 50 minutes or until the custard has just set. Set aside for 5 minutes before serving. Dust with icing sugar and serve with ice cream if desired.