Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
These are so delicious. A combination of chocolate and apricot on a shortbread base. Easy to make because it starts with a cake mix, but no one can tell. This was a favorite of my favorite cousin.
- 18 ounces fudge marble cake mix
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 1 cup dried apricot, chopped
- 2⁄3 cup water
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup semisweet chocolate morsel
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a 13 x 9 pan with cooking spray or grease it.
- In a large bowl combine cake mix,(reserve chocolate pouch), egg and softened butter at low speed until crumbly.
- Reserve 1 cup for filling.
- Do not wash bowl.
- Press remaining mixture in prepared pan.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Cool for 5 minutes.
- In a small saucepan combine water and apricots.
- Cook for 5 minutes until apricots are soft and most of the water is absorbed.
- Spread over base.
- In the same large bowl combine chocolate pouch, reserved cake mix crumb mixture, milk, almond extract, and egg on low speed until moistened.
- Beat for 2 minutes on high.
- Pour evenly over apricot layer.
- Return pan to oven for 20-25 minutes or until top springs back when touched lightly in center.
- Cool completely.
- In small saucepan, combine semi sweet morsels and butter.
- Cook over low heat until chocolate melts completely, stir constantly.
- Drizzle over bars.
- Chill until chocolate is set.