Recipe by Courtly
This sounds so yummy! From taste of home. How can you go wrong with CHOCOLATE? Needs to chill overnight, not included in cooking or prep time.
Top Review by Margaret Gandara
This was well received by co-workers! Be warned, it is rich and sweet! Isn't that why we make desserts? :) I would recommend smaller slices. I did add some coffee to the frosting, made for a lite mocha hint. The crust and filling set up well for me, I made it the night before, as recommended. Very chocolatey, and even though I'm not a chocoholic, I really enjoyed this! I kept taking small slivers to indulge in. Fancy looking too, as I covered the top with frosting piped with a star tip. I just plopped little star blobs as neatly as I could. I want to say that that was the "hardest" part.
- 1 1⁄2 cups chocolate wafer crumbs
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄4 cup melted butter
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 3⁄4 cups whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Chocolate ButterCream Frosting
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 3 -4 tablespoons milk
Directions See How It's Made
- In small bowl, combine wafer crumbs and sugar; stir in butter. Press onto the bottom and 1 1/2 inch up sides of a greased 9 inch springform pan. Bake at 350 for 10 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
- In microwave or heavy saucepan, melt chocolate chips; stir until smooth. Cool. In mixing bowl, combine egg yolks, cream and vanilla; beat well. Gradually stir a third of the cream mixture into melted chocolate until blended. Gradually stir in remaining cream mixture. Pour into crust.
- Place pan on a baking sheet. Bake at 350 for 40-45 minutes or until center is almost set. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Carefully run a knife around edge of pan to loosen; cool 1 hour longer. Refrigerate overnight.
- For frosting, in mixing bowl, cream butter. Combine confectioners sugar and cocoa; add butter with enough milk to achieve frosting consistency. Pipe into center of dessert, Refrigerate leftovers.