Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
Chocolate Lover's Delight!!
- 1 chocolate crumb crust (recipe in recipezaar)
- 12 ounces semisweet chocolate, broken into small pieces
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1⁄2 lbs cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 1⁄2 cups whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature, slightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- powdered sugar
- fresh strawberries, if desired
- Prepare chocolate crumb crust.
- Place oven rack in centre of oven, heat to 350 degrees.
- Combine chocolate and butter in top of double boiler, place over hot but not simmering water.
- Cook over low heat just until chocolate is completely melted.
- Remove top of double boiler from water, stir chocolate mixture until smooth.
- Reserve at room temperature uncovered.
- Cut cream cheese into 1 inch cubes, place in large mixer bowl.
- Beat at medium speed, scraping down sides of bowl as needed, until completely smooth.
- Gradually beat in chocolate mixture.
- Continue beating, scraping down sides of bowl as needed, until mixture is smooth and uniformly coloured.
- Continue beating while gradually adding cream and vanilla, beat until blended.
- Continue beating cheese mixture at medium speed while very slowly adding granulated sugar, beat until sugar is absorbed.
- Add eggs, about 1/4 cup at a time, beating well and scraping down sides of bowl after each addition.
- Sieve cocoa powder over batter, beat at low speed until cocoa is thoroughly incorporated.
- Pour batter into cold unbaked chocolate crumb crust, spread top smooth.
- Gently rotate pan several quarter turns to settle batter.
- Bake 30 minutes, reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees, continue baking 30 minutes longer.
- Turn oven off.
- Let cake stand in oven with door ajar 30 minutes.
- Transfer pan to wire rack away from drafts.
- Let cool undisturbed until sides and bottom of pan are completely cooled to room temperature.
- Remove sides of pan.
- Refrigerate cake uncovered overnight or at least 8 hours.
- Cover cake loosely with plastic wrap, refrigerate until serving time.
- Just before serving, Sieve powdered sugar lightly over cake.
- Serve garnished with strawberries if desired.
OMG, thought I died and went to cheesecake heaven. This recipe is fantastic. I followed directions excatly. No cracks or anything. It was the hit of our Christmas dinner. Thanks so much. Gibblet