1 hr 10 mins
Cooking to Perfection's Note:
This yummy cake is great anytime, but especially to finish off that special meal on Valentine's Day. The cake is slightly dry, but complements the rich, creamy frosting very well.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 ounces semi-sweet chocolate bits (1 cup)
- 1/3 cup boiling water
- 3/4 cup butter
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 3/4 cups sifted flour
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon red food coloring
- 1To prepare the cake: Preheat oven to 350* (F).
- 2Grease and flour a 9x13x2 inch pan; set aside.
- 3Melt chocolate in boiling water; cool.
- 4In a separate bowl, cream butter and sugar.
- 5Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well.
- 6Stir in cooled chocolate and vanilla.
- 7Sift together flour, baking powder and salt.
- 8Add sifted ingredients to cake batter, alternating with milk.
- 9Add red food coloring.
- 10In another bowl, beat egg whites until stiff, but not dry.
- 11Fold into batter.
- 12Pour into prepared baking dish.
- 13Bake 35-40 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.
- 14Cool; frost with prepared frosting.
- 15For frosting: Mix sugar, cornstarch and salt together.
- 16Add sugar mixture to boiling water, stirring constantly over medium heat, until mixture comes to a boil.
- 17Boil for one minute then remove from heat.
- 18Stir in chocolate bits until smooth.
- 19Stir in butter and vanilla.
- 20Spread on cake while still warm.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate Valentine Cake with Glossy Chocolate Frosting
Serving Size: 1 (102 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 495.6
- Calories from Fat 205
- Total Fat 22.8 g
- Saturated Fat 13.6 g
- Cholesterol 91.2 mg
- Sodium 405.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 68.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 48.6 g
- Protein 5.3 g