Recipe by Annisette
This from-scratch recipe uses no eggs and is really yummy. Cooking time includes waiting for the cake to cool for 30 minutes after baking.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 2⁄3 cups sugar
- 1 cup skim milk, room temperature
- 1⁄4 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled slightly
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup dark brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, plus
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 3⁄4 cups hot water
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325 F degrees. Set oven rack in middle of oven. Lightly spray 9x13 glass baking pan with cooking spray.
- In medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, and baking powder (about 30 seconds). Set aside.
- In large bowl, whisk together sugar, milk, yogurt, vanilla, and melted chocolate until combined (about 1 minute). Add dry ingredients and whisk until just moistened, about 30-40 seconds.
- Pour batter into baking dish. Smooth the top with the back of a spoon. Set aside.
- Make the sauce: In medium bowl, whisk together the sugar, brown sugar, and cocoa. Gradually add the hot water, whisking until the sugar is dissolved and the sauce is smooth (about 30 seconds).
- Gently drizzle sauce over the back of a spoon onto the cake batter, covering the batter completely. NOTE: Don't worry if some of the batter floats up from below.
- Bake about 50 minutes, or until cake is firm to the touch. Allow to cool slightly, about 30 minutes.
- Release sides of cake by running a knife around the edges of the pan.
- Transfer squares to serving plates and spoon fudge sauce from the bottom of the pan over each piece.