Prep 10 mins
Cook 55 mins
WARNING: Chocoholics will FREAK over this. You have to try it.
Make and share this Chocolate Upside-Down Cake recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup coconut
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 2 cups mini marshmallows
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) package German chocolate cake mix
- 3 eggs (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 1⁄3 cup oil (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 1 1⁄3 cups water (or as called for by your cake mix)
- vanilla ice cream (optional)
- In a small saucepan, heat water and butter until butter is melted. S.
- tir in brown sugar; mix well.
- Pour into a greased 13x9 inch cake pan.
- Sprinkle with coconut, chips, pecans and marshmallows.
- Prepare cake batter according to directions; carefully pour over marshmallows.
- Bake at 325F for 55-60 minute or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minute before inverting onto a platter.
- Serve with vanilla ice cream.
This is one of my favorite cakes. The first time I made it, I also had a problem with the topping getting stuck in the pan. What I do now, is to line the bottom of the pan with foil, allowing some overhang at the two ends, and grease the foil well. Then just gently peel the foil off after turning the cake upside down.
I also had this recipe from Quick Cooking magazine. My daughter loved it so much I named it "Themis Chocolate Cake"! The difference is that mine has one, not 3/4 cup of brown sugar--and "packed"...
Very good, but VERY rich!!