Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe came with the canoe pan I purshased on-line and though they call them "Chocolate Canoes" to me they are twinkies (chocolate version of my Twinkling Good Vanilla Snack Cakes ) You could also make them as cupcakes if you've no canoe pan. Using the box mix with this makes it easy and the DGSs love them. Hope you do too.
- 1 (18 ounce) box chocolate cake mix
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 3 1⁄2 ounces instant chocolate pudding mix
- 2 tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 tablespoons salted butter
- 4 tablespoons shortening
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 dash salt (optional)
- Mix cake mix, eggs, milk and pudding together.
- Fill the canoe wells and bake according to the cupcake directions on the cake mix box.
- Remove pan from oven and let cool for 5 minute.
- Using flexible spatula, gently remove each cake and cool flat side down on rack until completely cool.
- In meantime, prepar snack cake filling.
- In small saucepan cook flour and milk over medium heat until paste forms.
- Stir constantly and do not allow mixture to brown.
- Remove from heat and cool for 1 minute.
- Add vanilla and stir until smooth.
- Press a piece of plastic wrap down on surface of the paste to avoid forming a skin and set aside to cool completely.
- In bowl of mixer beat butter, shortening and sugar until fluffy, scraping bowl to fully incorporate ingredients.
- Add cooled flour/milk mixture and continue to beat 5 minutes on medium-high speed until smooth and creamy.
- To fill snack cakes:.
- Place about 1 cup of filling into a clean pastry bag fitted with round pastry tube.
- Gently insert tube into underside of cake, about halfway through the cake.
- Using gentle pressure, squeeze a small amount of filling into cake.
- You'll feel the cake expand under your fingers.
- Do not overfill, or the cake will burst.
- Repeat for a total of 3 times (different areas) per cake.
- Store cakes well covered at room temperature.