Cooking to Perfection's Note:
This is a very delicious cake! Most people haven't heard of a Tweed Cake, but it's basically a white cake with finely grated chocolate folded into the batter to give it a "tweed fabric" appearance. The cake is frosted with a buttercream frosting, and then drizzled with thinned semi-sweet chocolate to give it a shadowed affect. I make this every year for my Dad's birthday, and the entire cake is gone within 2 days. I hope you will try it; You wont be disappointed!
My Private Note
layer c ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup butter, soft
- 1 cup sugar (divided)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups cake flour, sifted
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 dash salt
- 1 cup milk
- 3 unsweetened chocolate squares, grated finely
- 3 egg whites
- classic buttercream frosting, # 10211 goes great with this cake
- 6 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips, melted
- 2 -3 tablespoons water
- 1Preheat oven to 350 (F).
- 2Grease 3 8-inch pans, or 2 9-inch pans, and line bottom with wax paper.
- 3Cream butter and 1/2 cup sugar.
- 4Beat in vanilla.
- 5Sift together flour, baking powder and salt.
- 6Add to creamed mixture, alternating with milk, beginning and ending with dry ingredients.
- 7Stir chocolate into batter.
- 8In separate bowl, beat egg whites until foamy; slowly add remaining 1/2 cup sugar until soft peaks form.
- 9Fold into cake batter.
- 10Pour batter into prepared pans and bake for 20-25 minutes.
- 11(Tops of cakes will not turn brown, so test with toothpick to see if they are done) Cool in pans for 5 minutes and then turn out onto cooling wracks to cool completely.
- 12Prepare your favorite buttercream frosting and frost when cakes are cool.
- 13For the chocolate shadow, melt the chocolate chips in microwave for about 1 minute, or until the chips are soft enough to stir together.
- 14Add one tablespoon of water at a time, until chocolate mixture is thin enough or pour.
- 15Drizzle thinned chocolate over frosting.
- 16Chill cake for at least an hour, or until ready to serve.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate Tweed Layer Cake
Serving Size: 1 (102 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 338.0
- Calories from Fat 150
- Total Fat 16.6 g
- Saturated Fat 10.2 g
- Cholesterol 23.1 mg
- Sodium 185.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 46.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 24.6 g
- Protein 5.0 g