Prep 10 mins
Cook 12 mins
Found this one ClosetCooking.com. They look amazingly delicious.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup cocoa powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter (softened)
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped pecans (finely chopped)
- 2 egg whites
- 24 teaspoons dulce de leche (or caramel)
- 24 pecan halves
- Mix the flour, cocoa and salt in a bowl.
- Beat the butter and sugar until fluffy.
- Beat in the egg yolk, milk and vanilla.
- Mix in the flour mixture.
- Cover and refrigerate for an hour.
- Whisk the egg whites until frothy.
- Form the dough into 1 inch balls.
- Dip the balls in the egg white and then in the pecans.
- Place the balls on a parchment lined baking sheet with the pecans face up.
- Indent the center of the balls with a teaspoon.
- Bake in a preheated 350F oven until set, about 10-12 minutes rotating the baking pan in the middle.
- Fill each cookie with a teaspoon of dulce de leche and top with a pecan.
One of my favorite recipes from this site and much requested by friends. I posted a picture of the ones I baked on my Silpat. They turned out very well and tasted as good as they looked.
These are a favourite Christmas treat at our home.<br/>I use 15 soft caramel candies (Werther's) and 3 tbsp heavy cream melted and mixed together to make the caramel filling.