These cookies are sold at The Golden Pear, a specialty foods and coffee shop just blocks away from the most elite seacoast real estate in Southampton, New York. The cookies were featured in Chocoaltier magazine, and editor in chief Barbara Albright was on "Live" on the Kathy and Regis show to demonstrate this chocolaty treat. It ended up in Cooking with Regis and Kathy Lee Cookbook and now here it is for you!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons instant espresso powder (I grind coffee beans in the coffee grinder)
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 12 ounces semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, cut into 4 pieces
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar, divided
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten (at room temperature)
- 2 cups coarsely chopped walnuts (or pecans)
- 12 ounces about 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 cups pecan halves, for decoration
- 1Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- 2Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or aluminum foil.
- 3In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- 4In a small cup, dissolve the espresso powder in the vanilla extract.
- 5In the top of a double boiler over hot, but not simmering water, melt the coarsely chopped chocolates with the butter, stirring frequently until smooth.
- 6Transfer the chocolate mixture to a large bowl. Using a wire whisk, stir in 1/2 cup of the sugar. Gradually stir in the eggs. Mix in the remaining 1 cup of sugar and the espresso/vanilla mixture. Stir in the flour mixture. Stir in the chopped nuts and chocolate chips.
- 7Using a 1/4 cup measuring cup, drop the dough onto the prepared baking sheets, leaving about 2 inches between cookies. Insert 5 pecan halves around the bottom of each cookie to represent the "turtle's" 4 legs and head.
- 8Bake the cookies, 1 baking sheet at a time, for 10-12 minutes, or until the cookie's tops start to crack. Do not overbake; the cookies should be soft and fudgy.
- 9Cool the cookies on the sheets, set on a wire rack.
- 10Store in an airtight container for up to 5 days. These cookies freeze well.
Browse Our Top Drop Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate Turtle Cookies
Serving Size: 1 (1869 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 372.2
- Calories from Fat 262
- Total Fat 29.2 g
- Saturated Fat 11.2 g
- Cholesterol 40.3 mg
- Sodium 50.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.4 g
- Sugars 21.0 g
- Protein 6.6 g