Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
This is an excellent Holiday Bar! It covers every aspect of a sweet tooth!
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄4 cup white sugar
- 1⁄3 cup butter or 1⁄3 cup margarine
- 1 (14 ounce) packageunwrapped caramels
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3⁄4 cup chopped pecans
- In a medium bowl combine flour, sugar and butter until crumbly.
- Press firmly into a greased 9 inch square cake pan.
- Bake at 350° for 13-15 minuts or until light brown.
- In a medium saucepan melt the caramels together with the water, whisking to smooth.
- Pour this over the prepared, warm base.
- Beat the eggs, sugar, syrup and butter together until well blended.
- Stir in the chocolate chips and nuts.
- Pour this evenly over the caramel base.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until set and golden on top.
- Cool completely on a wire rack before cutting into bars.
This was the best. I used an 8x8 pan and I think the caramel layer was a bit thick although nobody complained, it was difficult to cut through. I increased the choc chips to 1 1/2 cups also. Stepdaughter brought some of these to her girlfriends parents for New Years Eve and their dad said "Anytime you want to bring these over you can!" :)