Recipe by Missy Wright
When I was younger, my mother made something similar to these, but it wasn't until recently that I found a recipe that came close. Here it is. This is decadent and delicious. It is great for get togethers and potluck, that is if you want to share it.
- 1 (14 ounce) package vanilla caramels
- 1 (5 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1 (18 1/2 ounce) box german chocolate cake mix with pudding
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 3⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 2 large eggs
- 1 (12 ounce) bag semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 cups chopped pecans
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Lightly grease 13x9 baking pan.
- Put aside.
- Place caramels and evaporated milk in sauce pan over low heat.
- Stir until the caramels melt.
- Cover to keep warm and place aside.
- Mix cake mix, water, melted butter and eggs in a large mixing bowl until well blended.
- Pour half the cake mixture into baking pan evenly.
- Place baking pan in oven and cook at 350 for 10 to 13 minutes.
- Remove from oven.
- Pour caramel mixture over the cake and spread it evenly to the edges of the pan.
- Sprinkle 1 cup of the pecans and 1 cup of the chocolate chips over the caramel.
- Pour remaining batter evenly over the top.
- Bake cake for 35-40 minutes.
- Remove and place on wire rack to begin cooling.
- Place remaining pecans in pie pan and toast them in the oven for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Melt the remaining chocolate chips in the microwave for 30 sec.
- Remove and stir.
- Continue with the microwave until they are melted and smooth.
- Spread chocolate over the cake with a rubber spatula, then sprinkle the toasted pecans over the chocolate.
- Allow to cool before slicing into bars.