Recipe by spatchcock
Chocolate turnovers. Mmmm. These would be good on Christmas morning or on Valentine's Day.
- 1 1⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons vegetable shortening, cut up
- 4 tablespoons cold butter, cut up (no substitutes)
- 3 -4 tablespoons ice water
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate or 2 ounces semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 2 ounces premium white baking chocolate, finely chopped
- 4 teaspoons sugar, divided
Directions See How It's Made
- Pulse flour, sugar, and salt in food processor. Add shortening and butter; pulse until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add water through feed tube, 1 tablespoon at a time, pulsing until mixture begins to hold together but still is crumbly. Shape pastry into a ball and flatten into a thick disk. Wrap and freeze 15 minutes. Meanwhile, arrange oven rack in lower third of oven. Heat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Beat yolk and 1 tablespoon water in cup, and set aside.
- Divide pastry into 4 equal pieces. Working with 1 piece at a time (refrigerate remaining 3 pieces) on a lightly floured surface, roll pastry into a 6-inch circle. Sprinkle 1 heaping tablespoon each dark and white chocolate in center of circle, leaving a 1-inch border. Brush border with egg and fold pastry in half. Seal edges with fingertips, then
- trim with fluted pastry wheel. Transfer turnover with a spatula to cookie sheet, and brush top with egg mixture, then sprinkle with 1 teaspoon sugar. Refrigerate and repeat.
- Bake turnovers until golden brown, 16 to 20 minutes. Serve
- immediately, while warm.