Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
from A Treasury of Jewish Holiday Baking by Marcy Goldman. Looks good to me. I'm submitting it so I remember to make it some time. Let me know what you think. The idea here is that a luscious "tunnel" of cream cheese and chocolate chips is surrounded by a yummy chocolate cake. The original version of this recipe was a Pillsbury Bake-off winner. To make it dairy free, use soymilk and soy cream cheese. This cake freezes well if wrapped well, and keeps for several days, covered, at room temperature.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup oil
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup cocoa powder, sifted (I never sift)
- 3 cups flour
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup warm brewed coffee
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1 cup miniature chocolate chip
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3 unsweetened chocolate squares, melted and cooled
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- hot water, to thin if needed
- Preheat oven to 350F Generously grease/spray a 10" Bundt or tube pan.
- TO MAKE THE CAKE: In a large mixing bowl, combine the sugars, oil and eggs and beat for 1 minute until smooth. Add the remaining cake ingredients and beat on medium for 2 to 3 minutes. Set aside.
- TO MAKE THE FILLING, in another bowl, cream the sugar with the cream cheese, then add everything else and blend till smooth.
- TO ASSEMBLE: Ladle half the batter into the pan. Spoon filling evenly over this layer. Cover with remaining batter.
- Bake for 70 minutes, or until the top springs back when touched.
- Let cake cool for at least 30 minutes before removing it from the pan. If it sticks, place it on a warm burner to loosen it up and help release it. The cake firms up as it cools.
- TO MAKE THE GLAZE: In a bowl comine all the ingredients to form a pourable glaze, thinning with water if needed. Pour over the cooled cake.
Wonderful cake recipe. Moist and chocolatey. Made it as recipe stated and turned out very well. Thank You!