Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
THE BEST CHOCOLATE SAUCE ON EARTH!!! This is the only recipe I use (from Elinor Klivan's Bake and Freeze Chocolate Desserts), and it is just marvelous. The thick, fudgy, and gooey nature of this sauce will make your mouth water! *Prep time is cooking time.*
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Put the butter and heavy cream in a medium saucepan and heat over medium-low heat until the cream is hot and the butter is melted (the cream will form tiny bubbles).
- Do not let the mixture boil.
- Remove pan from heat; add the chocolate and let it soften in the hot cream for about 30 seconds.
- Add the vanilla and whisk until the sauce is smooth and all the chocolate is melted.
I was disappointed in this sauce at first. I thought it was not thick, fudgey or gooey but then I let it sit at room temperature for about an hour and the sauce thickened up beautifully! It was wonderfully glossy, too. It is not a real sweet chocolate sauce which I think is good because it is most likely going to be served with something that is very sweet such as ice cream or cake, etc. Plan ahead when you make this. You need to give it time to set up. As an aside, I met Elinor Klivan several years ago and she was a gracious, lovely lady.
This is a really great sauce! It was very thick for what I was using it for, which was cheesecake. I added more cream to make it thinner and it turned out excellent. Would be a great thickness for ice cream topping.
This is REALLY YUMMY COMFORT FOOD! I licked the pan and beaters clean! Loved it to the core!!!