Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
Another Pillsbury favorite...these little meringue cookies are as light as air, thanks to whipped egg whites. Topped with a rich chocolate filling, you'll find they are irresistible!
- 2 egg whites
- 1⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened baking cocoa
- 1⁄4 cup whipping cream
- 3 ounces bittersweet baking chocolate, chopped or 1⁄2 cup dark chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine, cut into small pieces
- Heat oven to 200°F
- Line cookie sheet with cooking parchment paper.
- In medium bowl, beat egg whites with electric mixer on medium speed until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add granulated sugar, beating at high speed just until stiff peaks form.
- In small bowl, mix powdered sugar and cocoa.
- Fold cocoa mixture, 1/3 at a time, into beaten egg whites.
- Spoon mixture into decorating bag fitted with star tip.
- Draw 1 1/2-inch diameter circle on white paper; place under parchment paper as a guide for piping rounds. Pipe mixture into twenty-four 1 1/2-inch rounds on parchment-lined cookie sheet.
- With back of teaspoon, make an indentation in each to hold filling. (Or, mixture can be spooned into dollops on parchment paper.)
- Bake 1 to 1 1/4 hours or until crisp.
- Cool completely, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in 1-quart heavy saucepan, heat whipping cream just to simmering over medium-low heat.
- Remove from heat; stir in chocolate with wire whisk until melted.
- Stir in butter pieces, a few at a time, until melted. Refrigerate until thickened, about 30 minutes.
- Just before serving, spoon or pipe about 1 teaspoon filling into indentation of each meringue.