Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Use the best quality chocolate you can find.
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1⁄2 cups heavy cream
- 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a mixing bowl, beat the sugar into the egg yolks until thickened and pale yellow; set aside.
- Bring the milk to a simmer in a saucepan; whisk in the cocoa and bring the milk back to a simmer; simmer 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Slowly beat the hot milk mixture into the egg mixture.
- Pour the entire mixture back into the pan and place over low heat.
- Stir constantly with a whisk or wooden spoon until the custard thickens slightly; be careful not to let the mixture boil or the eggs will scramble.
- Remove from heat and pour the hot custard through a strainer into a large, clean bowl; set aside.
- Bring the cream to a simmer in a small saucepan; immediately remove from the heat and pour the cream over the chopped chocolate in a bowl.
- Stir until the chocolate is melted and the mixture is smooth.
- Combine the chocolate mixtures, then stir in the vanilla; cover and refrigerate until cold or overnight.
- Stir the chilled custard; freeze in 1 or 2 batches in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s directions.
- When finished, the ice cream will be soft but ready to eat; for firmer ice cream, transfer to a freezer-safe container and freeze several hours or overnight.