Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
This fabulous dessert is by Jeff Bland, executive head chef of the Balmoral Hotel, Princes Street, Edinburgh
- 9 ounces dark chocolate
- 13 ounces whipped double cream
- 1 half inch sponge cake base, plain or 1 chocolate
- 1 dash favourite liqueur
- 24 black cherries
- 2 1⁄2 ounces white chocolate
- 2 ounces water
- ----For the gateau----.
- Place sponge cake in flan ring (7 inch x 1. 5 inch) and flavour with spirit or liqueur.
- Place cherries on sponge.
- Melt dark chocolate in a bowl over boiling water and fold melted chocolate into whipped cream and pour over cherries.
- Transfer gateau to fridge (two hours) or freezer (30 minutes) to set.
- ----For the sauce----.
- Melt together the white chocolate and the water then pour over gateau to serve.