Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
I needed to make a quick chocolate cookie to send to my godchild for her birthday. She is in college now (I feel so old) and she thought these were "the bomb" (her quote). I got this recipe from Camilla Saulsbury's Cake Mix Cookies book. Obviously, it travels well. Rich with a cake mix crust. I may have spent 10 minutes mixing these up.
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) package chocolate cake mix (I used Duncan Hines Devil's Food)
- 1⁄3 cup butter, melted
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips, divided
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped (I left these out because she doesn't like nuts)
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Spray the bottom only of a 13 x 9 inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, place the cake mix, melted butter and egg.
- Blend 1 to 2 minutes with mixer set on medium speed until crumbly.
- Set aside 1 cup of the crumb mixture.
- Firmly press remaining crumb mixture into bottom of pan.
- Bake 15 minutes.
- In a medium saucepan, combine 1 cup of the chocolate chips and condensed milk.
- Warm over low heat, stirring until smooth.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
- Spread over hot crust.
- Stir walnuts and remaining 1 cup chocolate chips into reserved crumb mixture.
- Sprinkle over chocolate filling.
- Bake 25 to 28 minutes or until topping is firm to the touch.
- Transfer to wire rack and cool completely.
- Cut into bars.
These were rich and decadent.... and got gobbled up fast! I used almonds instead of walnuts, for preference. I did overbake mine a bit on the second oven time, so make sure to pull as soon as you think they're set! Made for ZWT7.
Sooo good! I used a triple chocolate fudge cake mix, and Scharffen Berger semisweet squares for the truffle layer. I didn't have any walnuts in the house, so I used pecans instead (half the amount). I would've left the nuts out completely, but I thought that they might be needed to cut the chocolaty-ness a bit. Loved the different textures in this. Thanks for posting! Made for the Emerald City Shakers for ZWT7
Talk about your decadent chocolate heaven... These are wonderful with their gooey, ganache-y goodness. I made them using a milk chocolate cake mix, milk chocolate chips for the truffle layer (also added a couple T of rum to the truffle) and white chocolate chips for the crumb layer. I also used a mix of pecans and walnuts because I didn't quite have enough of the latter and I so love nuts and couldn't bear to put in less than called for. One word of caution: don't think you're going to be able to stop with just a bite....especially if you make the fatal mistake of trying them warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream...