Prep 35 mins
Cook 25 mins
This recipe won grand prize in the contest sponsored by Taste of Home. Contributed by Jo Ann Koerkenmeier, this recipe is indeed a winner. It has triple rich chocolatly flavor, a chocolate lover's dream come true. Prep for this cake isn't too bad, which makes this as a plus to make! It seems like you worked as a slave to bake this!
- 2 1⁄2 cups 2% low-fat milk
- 1 cup butter, cubed
- 8 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 2⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon tbsps butter, cubed
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 1⁄2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 10 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 2⁄3 cup heavy whipping cream
- In a large saucepan, cook the milk, butter and chocolate over low heat until melted. Remove from the heat, let stand for 10 minutes (mixture will look like hot cocoa).
- in a large bowl, beat eggs, and vanilla, stir in chocolate mixture until smooth. Combine flour, sugar baking soda and salt; gradually beat into mixture (batter will be thin). Transfer to 3 greased and floured 9 inch round baking pans. Bake at 325 degree F, for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Let cool completely.
- For filling, in a small saucepan, melt butter and chocolate. Stir in confectioner's sugar and cream until smooth.
- For ganache, place chocolate in a small bowl, in a small saucepan, bring cream just to a boil, pour over chocolate, whisk until smooth. Cool, stirring occasionally, until ganache reaches a spreading consistency.
- Set aside 1/2 cup filling for garnish. Place one cake layer on a serving plate; spread with half of the remaining filling. Repeat layers. Top with remaining cake layer. Spread ganache over top and sides of cake. Decorate with reserved filling. Store in fridge.