Recipe by conniecooks
This is a very rich moist chocolate cake. I have made it many times. It is the last birthday cake my father requested before he passed away in 1999. I think it is a Bakers Chocolate recipe
- 6 (1 ounce) semi-sweet chocolate baking squares
- 3⁄4 cup butter
- 2⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 4 (1 ounce) semi-sweet chocolate baking squares
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 (1 ounce) semi-sweet chocolate baking square
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt chocolate with butter.
- Beat 2/3 Cup of sugar with egg yolks till thick and lemon coloured.
- Add Chocolate mixture and flour. blend well.
- Beat egg whites till soft peaks form. Add 2 Tbsp sugar and beat till stiff and shiny peaks form.
- Fold Chocolate mixture into egg whites. Blend well.
- Pour into greased and floured 9" springform pan.
- Bake at 375 for 35 - 40 minute.
- Cake will be moist in centre.
- Cake will fall in centre.
- Melt chocolate with butter and water.
- Blend until smooth.
- Spread over cake.
- Melt chocolate. Put in Sandwich bag and cut a very small hole in 1 corner. Decorate cake with con centric circles. Starting at the centre draw a knife lightly (do not cut cake) through circles to outside edge. This will create a pattern similar to spider web.