1/1 Photo of Chocolate Tres Leches Cake
6 hrs 45 mins
The traditional version is a white, vanilla flaovered cake that is infused with 3 types of milk--sweet milk, whole milk and cream. This chocolate version was published in Sabroso!, a southwest dining guide. The preparation time and cook time are estimates. When making a tres leches cake it is usually best to begin early in the morning or even the day before in order to have it ready in the evening. The process is lengthy and time consuming; but oh what wonderful results.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 eggs, separated
- 2 cups light brown sugar, packed
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 5 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Prepare a cardboard circle using the bottom of cake pan as a guide; set aside.
- 3Grease two 9-in round cake pans then dust with powdered cocoa, knocking out excess.
- 4For the cake, in a large bowl combine flour, cocoa and baking powder.
- 5In a medium size bowl, combine the milk and vanilla.
- 6Set both aside.
- 7Place egg whites in a clean bowl and beat at high speed until peaks are formed.
- 8Turn the mixer down to medium speed and gradually add the sugar to the egg whites.
- 9Once the sugar is dissolved, add egg yolks and beat for 3 minutes.
- 10Continue beating egg white mixture on medium-low speed and add flour and milk alternately until well blended.
- 11Divide batter between the two pans and bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- 12Leave the cakes in the baking pans.
- 13While the cakes are still warm, punch holes in cake with wooden skewer.
- 14Combine the sauce ingredients and pour evenly over the two layers.
- 15Place the cakes in refrigerator and allow to cool.
- 16In a small, heavy saucepan on medium heat, stir the cream and chocolate together until chocolate is melted and mixture is blended.
- 17Add vanilla and stir for 1 minute.
- 18When ready to assemble, remove cake for refrigerator and allow to reach room temperature.
- 19The cakes will be very moist and will need special handling.
- 20Run a spatula around the inside of the pan and slightly under layers to loosen.
- 21Place the prepared cardboard over one pan and invert.
- 22Pour some frosting over the layer and spread with spatula.
- 23Using your hand or a spatula to hold second layer in pan, invert onto frosted layer and carefully lift pan away.
- 24Set the cake on a rack over a jellyroll pan and power the warm frosting over the cake, smoothing with a spatula to completely coat top and sides of cake.
- 25Let stand at room temperature for 10 minutes and scape any excess frosting from the jellyroll pan back into the saucepan.
- 26Heat excess frosting, stirring until smooth.
- 27Cool slightly and againpour over the cake, smoothing with a spatula over top and sides.
- 28Refrigerate until glaze is set.
- 29Let cake stand at room temperature for at least 15 minutes before serving.
- 30Garnish with fresh strawberries or dust lightly with powdered sugar.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate Tres Leches Cake
Serving Size: 1 (2889 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 8957.3
- Calories from Fat 4686
- Total Fat 520.6 g
- Saturated Fat 313.2 g
- Cholesterol 1970.0 mg
- Sodium 2881.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 1070.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 102.3 g
- Sugars 652.4 g
- Protein 204.5 g