Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 2 unsweetened chocolate squares
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 1⁄2 cup almonds, Chopped
- 4 egg whites
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 1⁄2 cups whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 6 ounces candied red cherries, Chopped
- In a microwave oven or over boiling water, melt both kinds of chocolate.
- Set aside to cool.
- Toast the almonds in a shallow pan in a moderate oven (350 degrees) for about 10 minutes.
- Beat egg whites with cream of tartar and salt until foamy white.
- Gradually beat in 1/4 cup of sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, until soft peaks form.
- Beat two cups of cream in a bowl until stiff.
- Beat in two teaspoons of sugar, the vanilla and melted chocolate, blend well.
- Fold the beaten egg whites, the chopped cherries, toasted almonds and the melted semi-sweet chocolate into the whipped cream mixture.
- Small chunks of chocolate may remain.
- Place paper baking cups in 24 muffin-pan cups (about 2 inches diameter).
- Freeze until firm. four hours or overnight.
- Beat remaining 1/2 cup of cream in a small bowl until stiff.
- Garnish each tortoni with a rosette of cream and a candied cherry.