Recipe by Tricia Foley
A TOH recipe that I would like to try. I am posting it here so that I don't lose it. Looks really impressive.
Top Review by Half Sauced
I haven't had a torte since I was 5 (37 years ago). I decided to look one up and see if it was as good as I had remembered. This is an EXCELLENT recipe and was exactly like I remember (well, to the best of my knowledge as I am 43 years old :( ). This is a must try if you are looking for a fantastic chocolate torte. Thanks Tricia for the stroll down memory lane.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup baking cocoa
- 2 cups boiling water
- 2 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1⁄4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup butter, cubed
- 1⁄2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 1⁄2 cups confectioners' sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Beat in vanilla.
- Whisk cocoa and water until smooth.
- Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with cocoa mixture. Beat until smooth.
- Pour into three greased and floured 9" round baking pans. Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks.
- In a mixing bowl, beat cream, confectioner's sugar and vanilla on high speed until soft peaks form.
- Chill until firm.
- In a saucepan, melt chips and butter over medium heat; stir in cream.
- Remove from the heat; stir in confectioner's sugar.
- Chill for at least 1 hour or until completely cooled.
- Beat with electric mixer to achieve spreading consistency.
- Spread half of the filling over one cake layer; top with second layer and remaining filling.
- Top with third layer; frost top and sides of cake.
- Chill for 2 hours before cutting.
- Yield: 12 servings.