Recipe by katie in the UP
I've been making this for years. It's very rich and always a special occasion when this is served!
- 16 ounces semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 5 large eggs, separated
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 cup confectioners' sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Grease a springform pan; dust with cocoa. Line bottom with kitchen parchment.
- In 2 qt saucepan over low heat, melt chocolate with butter.
- In large bowl, with wire whisk beat egg yolks and vanilla.
- Slowly beat warm chocolate mixture into yolk mixture until blended.
- In small bowl with mixer at high speed, beat egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Gradually beat in 1/4 cup powdered sugar until sugar dissolves and whites stand in stiff peaks.
- Fold beaten egg whites into chocolate mixture, one third at a time.
- Spoon batter into pan spreading evenly.
- Bake torte 1 hour or until toothpick inserted in center comes out almost clean.
- Cool torte in pan.
- When torte is cool, remove side of pan then remove torte from pan bottom; discard parchment.
- Cut torte in 12 wedges. Sprinkle 6 wedges with cocoa, remaining 6 wedges with confectioners sugar.
- Arrange wedges alternately on cake plate.