Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
From the Isle of Capri, this flourless cake is moist and deliciously chocolatey. Can be served dusted with powdered sugar, or with raspberry sauce and a dollop of cream. For a special dinner party, I offer Whisky Oranges with Honey Cream (recipe #113108) alongside.
- 7 ounces best quality bittersweet dark chocolate or 7 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 4 eggs, separated
- 6 ounces superfine sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 9 ounces ground almonds (almond meal)
- 7 ounces butter, melted and cooled until tepid
- powdered sugar, to finish
- Preheat your oven to 350F (180C).
- Grease the sides of a 9 1/2" springform pan, then line the base with non-stick baking paper.
- Chop the chocolate finely with a large knife, or process until finely chopped, but still retaining some texture.
- Using a mixer, beat the egg yolks with the sugar and vanilla extract until the mixture is pale and thick.
- With a rubber spatula, fold in the chocolate, the almonds and melted butter.
- In a clean, dry bowl, beat the egg whites until they form soft peaks.
- Fold the beaten egg whites into the chocolate mixture.
- Spoon into the prepared cake tin and bake for between 50-60 minutes, until just firm to the touch.
- Leave to cool for 20 minutes before turning out.
- To serve, dust with powdered sugar.
wOW! this is a delicious cake. It has an unusual taste - rich, nutty, chocolaty - that surprised my guests. My cake took 25-30 minutes to be "just firm to the touch" in a normal cake mold lined with greaseproof paper. It looked a bit undercooked on the inside but it was just very moist and I think this is a recipe that wouldn't stand to be overcooked as it would probably get very crispy first, then burn in no time. I followed the recipe exactly and the only change I will probably make next time is use a bit less butter (around 150g). I am also going to try making cookies with this batter as I suspect that it makes perfect crunchy-on-the-outside-chewy-on-the-inside cookies. Thanks for posting Daydream! PS-please see my rating criteria!!