Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
I have been making this recipe for 20+ years and everyone loves it.As it is so easy children love to help!Can be varied with milk,dark or white choc coating or even include a middle layer of icing between the shortbread and chocolate.
- 14 ounces plain flour
- 9 ounces butter
- 5 ounces caster sugar
- 250 g milk chocolate
- hundreds&thousands cake decorations
- In a large bowl mix flour and sugar,add butter and mix to resemble breadcrumbs.
- keep mixing with hands and knead until mixture forms a soft dough.
- Handle gently so not to overwork the dough.
- Line an 8 inch square tin approx 2 inch deep with foil or greaseproof paper,pre heat oven to 200c/gas6 Press mixture into tin with hands flattening it and spreading it flat until it covers the whole area.
- Prick all over with a fork to prevent air bubbles making it rise too much.
- Bake on centre shelf for 30 mins or until just golden brown and firm to touch.
- Don't let it overbrown or it will spoil the taste and be hard.
- When it has just come from the oven mark into slices or squares (how big is up to you but I usually make 12 slices).
- Leave to cool in the tin and turn out onto a cooling rack when cold.
- Cover each slice with melted chocolate and sprinkle hundreds& thousands whilst choc is still wet.
- Leave to set then store in an airtight tin.