Potato chips are the secret ingredient that keep sweet in balance with salty in a candy-like toffee bar.
- 17 1⁄2 ounces betty crocker peanut butter cookie mix
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 egg
- 1 cup butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 1⁄2 cups potato chips, lightly crushed
- 1 cup salted peanuts
- 12 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips (2 cups)
- Heat oven to 350°F
- Spray bottom and sides of 13x9-inch pan with cooking spray.
- In large bowl, stir cookie base ingredients until soft dough forms.
- Press dough in bottom of pan.
- Bake 10 minutes or just until dough is set.
- Meanwhile, in 1-quart saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.
- Stir in brown sugar.
- Heat to boiling, stirring frequently.
- Boil 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Sprinkle potato chips and peanuts over partially baked base.
- Pour brown sugar mixture over chips and peanuts.
- Bake 15 minutes longer or until surface is bubbly.
- Sprinkle chocolate chips evenly over chips and peanuts; return to oven for 2 minutes to soften chocolate.
- Spread chocolate over filling.
- Cool completely, about 2 hours.
- Refrigerate 30 minutes or until chocolate is set.
- For bars, cut into 8 rows by 4 rows.
- Store covered at room temperature.