Recipe by Southern Lady
A classic Italian style cake that tastes better if wrapped tightly and refrigerated for 24 hours before serving. The almond flavor ripens and the chocolate topping becomes delightfully crunchy. Waiting 24 hours is impossible at my house as the cake smells wonderful. Passive Cooking time includes cooling time for cake and chocolate drizzle. Recipe off another website.
Top Review by Catte Nappe
This is an outstanding recipe. I found it by accident searching for an easy one layer cake. While it is easy, it is much fancier than a simple layer cake! I am not a big chocolate fan, so I served it with vanilla ice cream and a warm compote of mixed cherries and peaches prepared with a dollop of cherry liqueur (Luxardo Maraschino, for those who want to stay true to the Italian style of the cake). This is also now on my list for the next time I'm on a "bring a treat" list. And for that one I will do the chocolate topping. Definitely a keeper in my book
- 4 ounces almonds, toasted
- 1⁄2 cup sugar, plus
- 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1⁄3 cup unbleached white flour
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon slivered almonds, toasted
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease and flour a 9" round cake pan.
- Place almonds in a small baking dish and place in oven until lightly toasted.
- Place toasted almonds and 2 T sugar in a food processor or blender. Grind to a powder in a few short bursts.
- Stir in flour and set aside.
- Combine Butter with remaining 1/2 cup Sugar, Extracts, and Salt in a medium size bowl.
- Beat with mixer until creamy.
- Add one egg at a time, beating well after each.
- Using a spatula and a light hand, gently fold in the almond flour mixture.
- Pour into prepared cake pan and bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until it is golden and top springs back when lightly touched.
- Let cool for 30 minutes, then remove cake from pan and transfer to cake plate, then cool completely.
- In microwave on LOW power, melt chocolate chips.
- Sift a little powder sugar over top of cake, sprinkle with remaining toasted almonds and then drizzle the chocolate over top in a lacey pattern. Let chocolate harden before serving.