Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
These are rich! As much as I prefer to bake non-dairy desserts, do not substitute margarine for the butter, the flavor just isn't the same!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 13x9x2 inch pan.
- Beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add egg yolk, vanilla and salt.
- Blend well.
- Beat in flour just until combined.
- Turn into prepared pan, spreading evenly.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and immediately sprinkle with chocolate chips.
- When melted, spread and sprinkle with nuts.
- Cut into squares while warm.
- Let cool completely.
I needed a nice dessert for my husband to take my in-laws this weekend and this just fit the bill! This is a wonderful chocolatey snack square that should suit almost any occassion. Thanks Mirj!
Mirj, these are the best cookie squares ever! I love the toffee taste. I followed the recipe exactly. So easy to make! This is a perfect recipe to make and take, it will travel well. Definitely a keeper!! Thanks!
An old time family favorite. Check this after 20 minutes. You don't want to over-bake it, it'll get too hard. Also, I always use two of those really huge Hershey bars, instead of semi-sweet chocolate chips. Pre-melt them in the microwave and then spread over top of the bars when you remove them from the oven. I like finely chopped pecans on top of that (1/2 - 3/4 cup).