Prep 25 mins
Cook 33 mins
I got this recipe on a supermarket checkout coupon! Very easy to make and I am often asked for the recipe. Delicious.
- 1 (1 -2 cup) cup butter (anything less than real butter will adversely affect the taste of the shortbread)
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour (you may need more if the weather is warm or your kitchen is warm)
- 8 -9 ounces Ghirardelli double chocolate chips, melted
- 3 (1 1/2-1 7/8 ounce) Heath candy bars, chopped into very small pieces (or any toffee candy bars such as Skor)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Beat butter and sugar in a large mixer bowl until creamy.
- Beat in egg and vanilla extract.
- Gradually beat in flour.
- Spread the mixture evenly in an ungreased 9" x 12" baking pan.
- Prick all over with tines of a table fork.
- Bake for approximately 30 to 33 minutes until the top of the shortbread is a light golden brown.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool, in the baking pans, for 3 or 4 minutes.
- Pour the melted chocolate evenly and smoothly over the shortbread.
- Allow chocolate to cool and then, while it is still in a liquid state, sprinkle the chopped Heath Bars over the chocolate so that the chocolate is fairly well hidden.
- Gently press very lightly on the candy chunks with the back of a fork so that they will be slightly embedded in the chocolate.
- Allow to cool completely and then cut into squares of any size that you want- I cut them into 18 squares, 3" x 2" each.
- Store in an airtight container (preferably a cookie tin) in a cool place.
Easy to put together. The topping is what makes this cookie so great. Now that I've looked back at this recipe, I see that I only used 1/2 C. butter rather than the 1 C. butter that is specified. Maybe that's why I thought the shortbread part of it wasn't all that special. My mistake. I also question what '1 (1 - 2 cup) cup butter' means in the ingredient list means. Seems like a lot of leeway if that means you can use between 1 and 2 cups of butter.