Prep 25 mins
Cook 40 mins
Not only are these scrumptious, but I truly think it was these bars that led to the conception of my son, and the reason why he was 2 weeks late! (Even as a neo-nate, his chocolate gene was full-blown!) Try them...and see if they mark a milestone in your life:)
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3⁄4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar or 3⁄4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 (10 ounce) bag toffee pieces
- 1⁄2 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350*F.
- Grease a 13x9" baking pan, or line it with parchment paper.
- Sift together the flour, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl; set aside.
- Using an electric mixer on medium speed, cream together the butter and both sugars until creamy.
- Add the eggs and vanilla; blend until smooth.
- Gradually stir in the flour mixture, then the toffee bits, reserving a handful for garnishing.
- Spread the batter evenly in the prepared pan; bake for 35-40 minutes.
- Cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
- Combine the condensed milk and chocolate chips in a small saucepan.
- Cook and stir over low heat until the chocolate has melted.
- Spread the mixture on top of the bars; sprinkle with remaining toffee bits.
- When the frosting has set, cut into 1" bars.