Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
Recipe created by Amy (Kline) Limbrick for the Pillsbury 37th Bake Off.
Top Review by Happy Mom
Fantastic! I've used this recipe for years with rave reviews. My family and friends call these Gooey Bars. They asked for them so much that some people think it's the only dessert I know how to make!
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) package butter recipe cake mix or 1 (18 1/4 ounce) package yellow cake mix with pudding
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 (12 ounce) package semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup white vanilla chip
- 3 (1 1/2 ounce) chocolate-covered english toffee bars, chopped into pieces
- 1⁄2 cup margarine or 1⁄2 cup butter
- 32 vanilla caramels, unwrapped
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
Directions See How It's Made
- In a mixing bowl, add the cake mix, oil, and eggs; stir to combine.
- Add in the chocolate chips, vanilla chips, and candy bar pieces (mixture will be thick).
- Press half the mixture into a greased 13x9 inch baking dish.
- Bake at 350° for 10 minutes.
- In a saucepan, add the margarine, caramels, and condensed milk.
- Cook over med-low heat until the caramels melt and mixture is smooth, stir frequently.
- Pour caramel mixture over baked crust; spread evenly.
- Crumble remaining cake mix mixture over the caramel layer.
- Place back in the oven; bake 25-30 minutes or until the top is set and edges are deep golden brown.
- Cool for 20 minutes.
- Run a knife around sides of pan to loosen bars.
- Cool 40 minutes.
- Refrigerate 1 hour.
- Cut into bars.
- Store in refrigerator.