Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Putting here for safekeeping
- 4 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 cups cream
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 1⁄4 vanilla bean
- 5 egg yolks
- 4 cups chocolate cake, pieces
- 1 cup toffee pieces
- Bring cream, vanilla bean and 1/4 cup sugar to a low boil. Remove vanilla bean.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and remaining sugar. Whisk a little of the hot cream mixture into the egg mixture. Whisking constantly, pour the egg mixture into the hot cream mixture.
- Place the chocolate chips in a large bowl.
- Pour the custard over the chocolate chips; stir until chocolate has melted.
- Layer the cake pieces, chocolate custard, toffee pieces in a greased 8-inch square cake pan. Repeat the layers as needed.
- Bake at 350 degrees F until the center is firm, about 20 minutes.