Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is an easy cake from the "Chocolate from the Cake Mix Doctor" cookbook.
- 1 package plain devil's food cake mix or 1 package German chocolate cake mix
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3⁄4 cup hot water
- 2 tablespoons instant coffee powder
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄4 cup Kahlua or 1⁄4 cup other coffee-flavored liqueur
- 2 cups nonfat vanilla yogurt
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder or 1 teaspoon sweetened cocoa powder
- Place rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly mist a 13 by 9 inch pan with vegetable oil spray.
- Set pan aside.
- Place the cake mix, water, oil, eggs and vanilla in a large mixing bowl.
- Blend with an electric mixer on low speed for 1 minute.
- Stop the machine and scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula.
- Increase the mixer speed to medium and beat 2 minutes more, scraping the sides down again if needed.
- The batter should look thick and well combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan, smoothing it out with the rubber spatula.
- Place the pan in the oven.
- Bake the cake until it springs back when lightly pressed.
- Approximately 35 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven and allow it to cool.
- Prepare the syrup.
- Place the hot water, coffee powder and sugar in a small bowl and stir until the coffee and sugar have dissolved.
- Stir in the Kahlua.
- Using a drinking straw or a chopstick, poke holes in the cooled cake.
- Spoon the syrup over the cake so that it seeps down into the holes.
- Prepare the topping.
- Place the yogurt, cream cheese and confectioner's sugar in a bowl and blend on low speed until thick and well combined.
- Spread the topping over the cake out to the edges with a spatula.
- Refrigerate the cake.
- Shortly before serving, sift the cocoa powder over the top of the cake.
- Store this cake covered in plastic wrap in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.