Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
Made with ingredients you probably have on hand. Taken from Pillsbury Classic Cookbook Oct. 01.
- 1 (18 ounce) box German chocolate cake mix
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 1⁄3 cup oil
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup coffee liqueur (or 1/4 cup water mixed with 1 1/2 teaspoons instant coffee)
- 8 ounces mascarpone or 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 teaspoon cocoa
- Prepare cake as directed for 2 9in round cake pans. Cool completely. (I have also made as a single layer in a 9x13 pan.).
- While cake is cooling, in a small saucepan, combine sugar, instant coffee and water. Bring to boil over medium heat. Boil 1 minute. Remove from heat; stir in coffee liqueur. Cool completely.
- Brush flat side of each cake layer with coffee syrup until absorbed. Place cake(s) in freezer for 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine Mascarpone cheese, whipping cream, powdered sugar and vanilla; beat at low speed until blended. Beat at medium speed unitl thickended, smooth and creamy consistency. Be careful not to over beat.
- Place 1 cake layer, round side down, on a serving plae. Top with half of cheese mixture. Place second layer, rounded side down, on top. Top with remaining cheese mixture.
- Top with siffed cocoa. Store in refrigerator.