Prep 30 mins
Cook 6 mins
Wonderful recipe from Canadian Living Cooks.
Make and share this Chocolate Tiramisu recipe from Food.com.
- 6 ounces mascarpone cheese
- 2⁄3 cup whipping cream
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 1⁄2 cups espresso coffee, warmed
- 24 crisp french-style ladyfinger cookies (recommended ( Savoiardi)
- unsweetened cocoa powder, for garnish
- dark chocolate shavings, for garnish
- 2 tablespoons whipping cream or 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1⁄4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup dry marsala
- 1 pinch salt
- Place the mascarpone cheese in a large bowl and set aside. With an electric mixer, beat the cream and 1/4 cup of the sugar in a medium bowl until soft peaks form.
- Fold the whipped cream into the mascarpone.
- Then fold in the chilled Chocolate Zabaglione. Cover and refrigerate.
- Whisk the warmed espresso and the remaining 1/4 cup of sugar in another medium bowl until blended.
- Line a 9 1/4 by 5 by 2 3/4-inch metal loaf pan with plastic wrap, allowing the plastic to extend over the sides.
- Working with 1 cookie at a time, dip 8 cookies into the espresso, and arrange in a single layer side by side over the bottom of the prepared pan.
- Spoon 1/3 of the mascarpone mixture over the cookies to cover.
- Repeat dipping 8 of the cookies in the espresso and layering the cookies and remaining mascarpone mixture 2 more times.
- Dip the remaining 8 cookies in the espresso and arrange side by side atop the tiramisu.
- Press lightly to compact slightly (the last layer will extend above the pan sides).
- Cover the tiramisu with plastic and refrigerate at least 6 hours.
- Unwrap the plastic from atop the tiramisu. Invert the tiramisu onto a platter.
- Remove the plastic. Sift the cocoa over the tiramisu, and with a vegetable peeler or sharp knife, make dark chocolate shavings and sprinkle over top.
- FOR THE CHOCOLATE ZABAGLIONE: Add cream and chocolate to a heavy small saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring often, until the chocolate chips are melted and smooth.
- Set aside and keep warm.
- Whisk the egg yolks, sugar, Marsala, and salt in a large glass bowl until blended.
- Set the bowl over a saucepan of simmering water, but do not allow the bottom of the bowl to touch the water.
- Whisk the egg mixture over the simmering water until it is thick and creamy, about 4 minutes.
- Remove from the heat.
- Using a large rubber spatula, fold the melted chocolate mixture into the egg mixture.
- Cover and refrigerate to chill completely.