Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
From the new Martha Stewart's cookie recipe book release March 2008.
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 teaspoons corn syrup
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a bowl of an electric mixture fitted with the paddle attachment, beat together 1 cup butter, the confectioners' sugar, salt and vanilla on medium speed until smooth, about 2 minutes. Beat in flour, beginning at low speed and increasing to medium speed until combined.
- Form balls using 2 teaspoons of dough for each; place balls 1 inch apart on prepared cookie sheets. Baking 10 minutes, remove from oven, and press thumb into cookies to make deep, wide indentations. Rotate pan and return to oven; bake until light brown on the edges., 7 to 9 minutes more. If the indentations begin to loose definition, remove cookies from oven and press again. Transfer to wire rack and cool completely.
- Combine chocolate, the remaining 6 TBSP of butter and the corn syrup in a small heatproof bowl set over a pot of simmering water; stir occasionally until melted and smooth. Allow to cool a bit until slightly thickened. Fill thumbprints with the chocolate mixture. and set aside to firm up. Cookies can be stored in single layers in airtight containers at room temperature for 3 days.